Saturday, June 11, 2011

My Home-Made Pho

Vietnamese beef and noodle soup (pronounced "phuh")
Cambodian beef noodle soup ("ga thew" us Khmer folks love shrimps so we add shrimps to our dish).



Now I can't make it as great like my Moms home-made Pho but mine is also delicious and I receive lots of compliments from my sisters, friends and booski. When I make the soup I don't usually refrigerate it overnight nor do I add the beef bones for rich that flavor and I also don't like to add fish paste (ba hok in Khmer ba dek in Laos) because it breaks me out and I can't stand the awful smell (worse than fish sauce).

1. In a large pot, add 2 cans (28oz.) of Pho Bac Beef Broth and 7-10 cups of water to boil over medium-high heat. 2 packages of Won Ton Instant Soup Mix and 2 packages of Beef Flavor Broth Instant Noodle Soup Mix (Dragonfly- Brand). 1 Pho Spice Cube. 1package of Beef Meatballs which you can find it at the Asian store and sliced all the meatballs in half.






 2. In the meantime, heat a frying pan on medium-low heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and add a teaspoon of salt and black pepper, immediately add minced garlic and white onions. This is optional if you don't have fried garlic.
3. When the pot comes to a rolling boil, transfer the minced garlic and white onions and boil vigourously for 30 minutes. Then I cut the long stems of green onions and add it to the pot for aroma.


 4. You will also need a medium pot of water to cook your noodles (I use Pad Thai rice noodles) and meat of your choice: I use Beef tenders (thin steak slices) and shrimp.





 5. Serve and/or garnish with basil leaves, white onions (optional), lime wedges, cilantro, bean sprouts to enhance aroma.


 Add chili peppers, Hoisin sauce, Sriracha hot chili sauce, soy sauce, and fish sauce (optional) for taste.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...